BikeHikeSafari is a world-class hiking, backpacking, and bike-touring blog. There are expert gear reviews on all things to do with Hiking, Backpacking, Thru Hiking, Bike Touring, and Bikepacking. There are hiking trail guides and information on bike touring destinations from someone who actually visited those places.
Our mission is to provide information that will inspire people to get outside and explore the wilderness areas of the world.
Gear Reviews: Written by people who have demonstrated experience in this area of expertise.
Destination Guides: Hiking trails, resupply guides, and bike touring routes written by people who have been there and have first-hand experience.
Hints and Tips: Skills-based information to increase your knowledge and keep you safe in the backcountry. Aiming to make your next hike or bike tour safer, easier, and more enjoyable.
The BikeHikeSafari Story
This website was started by Brad (Shepherd) McCartney in 2014. He is an experienced long-distance hiker and bike tourer. His extensive knowledge of hiking and bike touring was gained by a lifetime spent on hiking trails on every continent except Antarctica and completing the Hiking Triple Crown.
He completed thru-hikes on the Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and Appalachian Trail. He also hiked the whole length of New Zealand on the Te Araroa. He has hiked almost 10,000 miles / 16,000 km in the last couple of years on hiking trails around the world.
He also loves bike touring and bikepacking and has cycled more than 20000 miles / 32000 km through Europe, Australia, North America, and South America. One day he hopes to cycle the whole length of the Americas from Alaska to the southern top of Argentina. So far he has cycled from Alaska to Ecuador, about two-thirds of the way. He uses his knowledge of Bike Touring and Bikepacking to produce expert bike touring gear reviews and destination guides.
Meet the Team
Well, this website is a full-time job for only one person at this stage, the founder Brad McCartney. We hope to expand this site in the future by hiring specialist writers and gear reviewers.
Read More About Brad McCartney
- All the reviews on this site are the views of the author and the gear reviews come from personal knowledge and testing of the gear. See our Review Policy for further details.
- We only allow writers who are subject matter experts to write for this site.
- We regularly review all articles and update them with the latest information.
- This website never takes money for reviews and never does sponsored posts.
- We follow the Leave No Trace Principles when we are outside testing products and reviewing destinations. We hope that you will too when outside
- The website is funded by affiliate marketing. If you click on a link and end up purchasing something, we may get a small commission at no cost to you. The affiliate commission is never used to determine whether a product should be recommended or not.
Here are some of the Best Guides and Gear Reviews that you need to look at:
Connect Via Social Media
If you are social then follow along on your favorite social channels.
Need some Help to Lighten Your Backpack?
Please enjoy everything that is, BikeHikeSafari. If you have any questions or suggestions to improve the site. Head on over the the Contact Page and send me a direct message.
Brad (Shepherd) McCartney