This is my Te Araroa Trail Gear list. The Te Araroa Trail has a reputation for being hard on gear with lots of rain and mud. The base weight of my gear list is around 6kg (13lb) which will put less stress on my body compared with the hiker that is carrying heavy loads.
This is not my first thru hike so I have the advantage of dialling in my gear. All the items I am carrying have been used on other trails and I find no need just yet to upgrade any items just yet.
But this might change in the future. Read the Complete guide to Thru Hiking the Te Araroa Trail if you want to read a daily journal of the trail, hints and tips about hiking the trail and how to guides.
Table of Contents
Te Araroa Trail Gear List
Shelter + Pack + Sleep System
- Nemo Hornet 2 Person Tent– 32oz – 910 gram.
- Osprey Packs Exos 48– 32oz – 900 grams (minus the brain lid).
- Nemo Nocturne 15F / -9C Down Sleeping Bag = 37oz – 1060 grams.
- Nemo Tensor 20R Insulated = 14.5oz – 410 Grams
- Nemo Elite Pillow– 2.75oz – 78 Grams
- Pack Liner/Garbage bag – 2oz – 60 Grams.
- Altra Lone Peak 4.0 – 606 grams per pair (21oz).
- Altra Timp – 630 grams per pair (22oz)
- Altra Olympus – 23oz (23oz)
- Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks – 48 grams x 3
- Outdoor Research Filament Hooded Jacket – 281 grams.
- No name Merino wool thermal Pants – 150 grams
- No name Merino LS thermal Shirt- 155 grams.
- Reebok unpadded Cycle Shorts – 85 grams.
- No name merino beanie – 60 grams
- No name running shorts – 100grams
- No name running Shirt – 150 grams
- Gloves – 65 grams
- Sunhat 55 grams
- Sunglasses – 50 grams
I carry no spare clothing with me other than what is listed here. Most people carry town clothes and sleeping clothes. I find them unnecessary. When washing my hiking clothes I wear my rain gear.
- Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket – 180 Grams
- Outdoor Research Helium Pants – 153 Grams
- Sea to Summit Hiking Umbrella – 227 grams
- Leki Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Poles 413 grams (pair)
- Petzl – TIKKA Headlamp = 85 grams
- Evernew Ti DX Stove Titanium 86 Grams.
- Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium Cookset with homemade aluminum foil lid 114 Grams.
- Sea To Summit X-Mug – 78 grams
- Titanium Spoon – 12 Grams
- Gerber STL 2.0 Knife 28 Grams
- Steripen rechargable– 140 grams
- Katadyn Micropur Water Purifier Tabs – 20 Grams.
- Platypus Bottle 2-Litre – 36 Grams
- Nalgene Water Bottle 1 litre– 178 grams
- Bic Lighter – 20 Grams – A necessary item, obviously.
Cameras or Electronics
- Samsung S9+ 256GB + headphones + cable + case 190 grams. This will be my only camera for photos and videos.
- Anker 20100mAh battery pack – 354 grams.
- USB Wall Charger for New Zealand /Australia+ Cables 65 grams.
- Plastic zip lock bags
- Money / ID / Credit Cards
- Blister pads
- Strapping Tape
- Foot infection anti-biotic
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Safety Pin
- Deet insect repellent
- Lip Balm
- Toilet tissue
Total = 325 Gram