CDT Hiking Gear List
Here is my CDT hiking gear list for my hike of the Continental Divide Trail.
Shelter + Pack + Sleep System
- Nemo Hornet 1 Person Tent – 850 Gram
- Osprey Packs Exos 48– 900 grams (minus the brain lid)
- Pack Liner/Garbage bag 60 Grams
- Nemo Nocturne 15F / -9C Down Sleeping Bag = 1060 grams
- Nemo Astro Insulated Lite 20R– 755 Grams
- Therm-a-Rest Stuff Sack Pillow– 77 Grams (used as a pillow at night and clothing stuff sack during the day)
- Total = 3702 grams
All the best Ultra Lightweight Gear Guides:
- Evernew Ti DX Stove Titanium 86 Grams
- Lighter 20 Grams
- 600ml empty coke bottle to store alcohol for stove 27 grams
- Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium Cookset with homemade aluminum foil lid 114 Grams
- Titanium Spoon 12 Grams
- Gerber STL 2.0 Knife 28 Grams
- 2 x Platypus Bottle 2-Litre – 72 Grams
- Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter System 85 Grams
- Katadyn Micropur Water Purifier Tabs2
- Total = 464 Grams
Electronics and Camera
- Apple iPhone 5S 16GB + headphones + cable + LifeProof Case 149 grams
- Canon PowerShot G16 + spare battery + case + spare memory card
- PowerGen 12000mAh External Battery 425 Gram
- Anker 24W Dual USB Wall Charger + Cables 65 grams
- Total = 1112 grams
- Merino Wool beanie 60 grams
- Patagonia Down Jacket
- ExOfficio Underwear 85 grams
- Gloves 65 grams
- Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks – 48 grams
- Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket 180 Grams
- Outdoor Research Helium Pants 153 Grams
- Total = 962 grams
First Aid, Toiletries and Misc
- Plastic zip lock bags
- Money / ID / Credit Cards
- Blister pads
- Strapping Tape
- Giardia anti-biotic
- Foot infection anti-biotic
- Safety Pin
- Deet insect repellant
- Lip Balm
- Toilet tissue
- Trail town info
- Total = 375 Grams
Total weight of backpack = 6.6 kilograms / 14.5 pounds.
Clothing worn and trekking poles (not part of base weight)
- Smartwool LS Shirt 255 grams
- MEC Instrum Long Pants 184 grams
- ExOfficio Underwear 85 grams
- Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks
- Vasque Men’s Inhaler II Low Hiking Shoe with custom orthotics 790 grams
- Sunhat 55 grams
- Sunglasses 50 grams
- Leki Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Poles 413 grams
- Total = 1775 grams
My CDT Hiking Gear List also includes items I will only carry in selected areas, such as alpine areas or later in the trail when it gets darker earlier. My clothing options will swap and change as the weather changes. No use carrying shorts when the temps will be near freezing. Some items I will only buy if necessary (Snowshoes etc). Items will be in my bounce box which will be sent along the trail. I will leave and take out items as I need them.
Black Diamond Raven Ice Axe with Grip = 485 grams
Kahtoola MICROspikes = 340 grams
MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoe = 1800grams
Petzl – TIKKA Headlamp = 85 grams
Smartwool Base Layer Pants 150 grams
Smartwool LS Shirt 255 grams
Patagonia Shorts 119grams
Total = 3234 grams
Food will weight approximately 1kg per day.
Water will weight 1kg per litre.
I’m very happy with my CDT hiking gear list, but of money was no object I would change a couple of things.
How much does you gear list weigh? What gear would you change?
Let me know in the comments section below
Where to buy all the best gear for Hiking the Continental Divide Trail:
REI.com | Moosejaw.com |Wild Earth Australia |Amazon
| Hyperlite Mountain Gear | Backcountry.com
Traveling Overseas to go Hiking?
World Nomads Travel Insurance
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe for hiking and bicycle touring updates direct to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Whoops, Something went wrong.