CDT Gear List
Here is a comfortable and lightweight CDT gear list. I used most of these items on my thru hike of the Continental Divide Trail. Some other items are additions that will be perfect for the CDT gear list.
Shelter + Pack + Sleep System
- Nemo Hornet 1 Person Tent – 850 Gram.
- Osprey Packs Exos 48– 900 grams (minus the brain lid).
- Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20F / -7C – 29oz / 820g
- Nemo Tensor Insulated – 14oz/410g
- Nemo Elite Pillow– 78 Grams
Pack Liner/Garbage bag – 60 Grams.
All the best Ultra Lightweight Gear Guides:
- Evernew Ti DX Stove Titanium 86 Grams.
- Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium Cookset with homemade aluminum foil lid 114 Grams.
- Sea To Summit X-Mug – 78 grams
- Titanium Spoon 12 Grams
- Gerber STL 2.0 Knife 28 Grams
- Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter System 85 Grams
- Steripen rechargable– 140 grams
- Katadyn Micropur Water Purifier Tabs 20 Grams.
- Bic Lighter – 20 Grams – A necessary item, obviously.
- 600ml Coke Bottle to store alcohol for stove – 27 grams
Electronics and Camera
- Apple iPhone XR unlocked + headphones + cable 149 grams.
- Sony RX100 + spare battery + case + spare memory card 473Grams.
- Anker 10000mAh Battery Bank plus wall charger- 155 grams (5.47 oz)
Clothing for the CDT
- Outdoor Research Filament Hooded Jacket – 281 grams.
- PrAna Stretch Zion Convertible Pants – 430 grams.
- ExOfficio Underwear 85 grams
- Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks48 grams
- Vasque Men’s Inhaler II Low Hiking Shoe with custom orthotics 790 grams
- Smartwool Base Layer Pants – 150 grams
- Smartwool LS Shirt– 255 grams.
- Merino Wool Midweight Balaclava – 60 grams
- Patagonia Strider Shorts – 119grams
- Fleece Gloves – 65 grams
- PCT Sunhat 55 grams – A great lightweight sunha
- Sunglasses – 50 grams
- Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket 180 Grams
- Outdoor Research Helium Pants 153 Grams
- Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow 8 oz. Ultralight Hiking Umbrella – 227 Grams
Trekking Poles and Snow Gear for the CDT
My CDT Gear List also includes items I will only carry in selected areas, such as alpine areas or later in the trail when it gets darker earlier. I like clothing options that I can swap and change as the weather changes. No use carrying shorts when the temps will be near freezing. Items will be in my bounce box which will be sent along the trail. I will leave and take out items as I need them.
- Leki Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Poles 413 grams (pair)
- Petzl – TIKKA Headlamp = 85 grams (Only carried later in the trail when I hope to make bigger miles, I’ll use my camera light at other times)
- Black Diamond Raven Ice Axe with Grip = 485 grams
- Kahtoola MICROspikes = 340 grams
- MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoe = 1800grams
- Plastic zip lock bags
- Money / ID / Credit Cards
- Blister pads
- Strapping Tape
- Giardia anti-biotic
- Foot infection anti-biotic
- Safety Pin
- Deet insect repellant
- Lip Balm
- Toilet tissue
- Trail town info
- Total = 375 Grams
Total weight of backpack = 6.6 kilograms / 14.5 pounds.
My Continental Divide Trail Gear List also includes items I will only carry in selected areas, such as alpine areas or later in the trail when it gets darker earlier. My clothing options will swap and change as the weather changes. No use carrying shorts when the temps will be near freezing. Some items I will only buy if necessary (Snowshoes etc). Items will be in my bounce box which will be sent along the trail. I will leave and take out items as I need them.
How much does you gear list weigh? What gear would you change?
Let me know in the comments section below
Where to buy all the best gear for Hiking the Continental Divide Trail:
REI.com | Moosejaw.com |Amazon
| Hyperlite Mountain Gear | Backcountry.com
Traveling Overseas to go Hiking?
World Nomads Travel Insurance
Download your free
Lightweight Hiking Gear List
Add your name and email below
Check your email to download the Gear List
Something went wrong.