Pacific Crest Trail Gear List
My Pacific Crest Trail Gear List that I carried for the 5 months while hiking the PCT.
Not everything listed below will be carried everyday on the Pacific Crest Trail. For example, no use carrying excess water bottles in areas with plentiful water or excess warm weather clothing in the hot sections of desert. I will also hike some sections without the stove and cooking gear, as a trial to hike without warm food for several sections. Also, I have not included a Bear Barrel or other food storage method to the list just yet, nor have I added hiking poles to Ice Axe or microspikes, as I am yet to decide if I need or want them!
PCT Gear List
PCT Gear List – Shelter
- Big Agnes – Copper Spur UL 2 Person TENT 1050 Gram
Read about the best lightweight tents for the PCT in 2019:
Best Lightweight Tents.
PCT Gear List – BackPack
- Osprey Packs Exos 58 Backpack 1200 grams
- Pack Liner/Garbage bag 60 Grams
- Total = 1260grams
Read more about the Best Lightweight Backpacks for the PCT in 2019:
Best Lightweight Backpacks.
PCT Gear List – Sleeping Bag and Pad
- Sleeping bag – Sea to Summit Traverse Xt1 -7C (20F) = 1085 grams
- Sleeping Mat – Neoair Xlite 350 Grams
- Thermarest stuff sac Pillow 77 Grams
- Total = 1512grams
Pacific Crest Trail Gear List – Kitchen
- Evernew Ti DX titanium stove 86 Grams
- Lighter and waterproof matches 24 Grams
- 600ml empty coke bottle to store alcohol for stove 27 grams
- Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium Cookset 174 Grams
- Sea To Summit X-Cup 45 Grams
- Titanium Spoon 12 Grams
- Gerber STL 2 knife 28 Grams
- 3 Litre Camelbak 195 Grams
- 2 x 2 Litre Platypus collapsible bottles 72 Grams
- Sayer Squeeze Filter System 85 Grams
- Water treatment tablets 20 Grams
- Total Weight = 768 Grams
Electronics and Camera
- Iphone 5S + headphones + Lifeproof case 149 grams
- Canon PowerShot G16 + 64GB SD Memory Card + Case + Spare Batteries 473Grams
- Petzl Tikka rechargeable headlamp 85 Gram
- PowerGen 12000mAh USB Battery 425 Gram
- USB electrical charger + Cables 105 grams
- Total 1237 grams
- Short sleeve smartwool shirt 150 grams
- Kathmandu Barga zip of shorts/pants 340 Grams
- ExOfficio underwear 85 grams
- Darntuff Marino Wool Socks 48 grams
- Merrell Moab Ventilators with custom orthotics 780 grams
- Sunhat 55 grams
- Sunglasses 50 grams
- Total 1508 grams
- Long sleeve smartwool shirt, 255 grams
- Merino long pants 150 grams
- Merino Wool beanie 60 grams
- Patagonia down jacket 371 grams
- ExOfficio underwear 85 grams
- Gloves 65 grams
- 2 x Darntuff Merino wool socks 96 grams
- Outdoor Research Men’s Helium Rain Pants 153 Grams
- Outdoor Research Men’s Helium II Rain Jacket 180 Grams
- Bandana 66 Grams
- Total weight 1485 grams
First Aid, Toiletries and Misc
- Moleskine Notebook and pen
- Plastic snap lock bags
- Money / ID / Credit Cards
- Blister pads
- Strapping Tape
- Giardia anti-biotic
- Foot infection anti-biotic
- Wilderness Soap
- Deodorant stick
- Safety Pin
- Needle and thread
- Deet insect repellant
- Lip Balm
- re-hydration tablets
- Toilet paper
- Trail town info
- Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Stuff Sack
- Total Weight 625 Grams
Total weight of backpack 7.9 kilograms.
Food and cooking fuel will add about 1 kilogram per day on average. Water weight is extra again, at 1 kilogram per litre!
*Edit – After completing the Hiking Triple Crown my gear list is much lighter, around 6kg (13lb)*
Next: Read my Complete Guide to Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail
More great hiking stuff:
Where to buy all the best gear for Hiking the Continental Divide Trail:
REI.com | Moosejaw.com |Wild Earth Australia |Amazon
| Hyperlite Mountain Gear | Backcountry.com
Traveling Overseas to go Hiking?
World Nomads Travel Insurance
Want to write your own blog about your trip? I learned how to blog from one of the best blogger in the business.
Learn How to Write a Blog.
Got any questions? Leave me a message below and consider sharing this post or signing up to may email list.
Enjoy the trail.
Cheers Shepherd – PCT15, CDT16, AT17, TA18-19 and still hiking.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe for hiking and bicycle touring updates direct to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Whoops, Something went wrong.