After being tested physically and mentally we needed some time to assess our future on the trail. Our ability to make a clear decision was clouded by fatigue and the comforts of a bed. Not to mention unlimited supplies of food.
The town of Pagosa Springs has a lot to offer the tourist. We took advantage of very little. We ate at several restaurants and drank beer at a couple of locations. The reality was that we rarely left our hotel room.
We spent hours discussing our future on the trail. But still we couldn’t decide what to do. On our first rest day we met 4 other hikers that were some of the first hikers to attempt this section of trail. We discussed the trail and our trials and tribulations. After sharing a meal and beer they set off on the trail. We hope to catch up with them.
The whole of our first rest day we were filled with indecision. It seemed whatever choice we made would be fought with negative implications. If we quit the trail for a week to wait for the snow to melt then it would cost a lot of money and we loose our rhythm on the trail. If we only have a short rest then we face 7-8 days in the high snow covered mountains. And nobody has been through yet. If we headed off we would be the second group for the year. We would be entering the unknown. I both loved and hated that idea equally.
I had a sleepless night. My mind was in overdrive running every scenario through my head. I lay awake in my bed waiting for Spontaneous to wake. My first comment to him, “let’s head back to the trail tomorrow”. He agreed.
We spent the day preparing. 8 days of food was purchased and packed. We ate food and caught up with another hiker that arrived. Muley, the other hiker joined us for dinner. She was flipping ahead as are many other hikers. Most will then return here later to hike this section.
Decision made. Packed and ready to go we will be heading back to the mountains tomorrow. Into the unknown. We are both more knowledgeable about the area and will take everyday as it comes. If we have to bail off a section then so be it. We are ready. We are prepared. Bring it on.
Next – Day 48 And the Thunder Rolls
Everything you need to know about hiking the CDT:
Complete Guide to Hiking the Continental Divide Trail
CDT Resupply Guide
CDT Gear List