Table of Contents
Hiking Gift Ideas
Hiking gift ideas for those that love the outdoor. Whether it is for Christmas gifts and birthday gifts this guide will head you in the right direction.
Cheap Hiking Gift Ideas
- Darn Tough Socks – The go to socks for most hikers. Comfortable and long lasting
- Nemo Elite Filo Pillow – A cheap, light and super comfortable pillow
- Nalgene Water Bottle – I’ve been using Nalgene bottles for many years.
- Nikwax gear cleaner – Clean and re-waterproof rain jackets.
- Loksac food bag – Going into Bear country? Want to stop smells from hiking food attracting rodents? These would make a great gift
- Small reusable squeeze bottles – Cheap and reusable. Store anything from sunscreen and insect repellant to sauces or contact lens solution.
Mid Priced Hiking Gift ideas
- Lifestraw Flex filter – Better than Sawyer filters? I recently changed to this filter. A great gift for the backcountry.
- Amazon Kindle – Small, lightweight, exceptional battery life and the ability to store 1000s of books.
- Audible Audio Book Gift membership – There is nothing better than listening Audiobooks while out on the trail or late at night in the tent. Listen to all the great stories about long distance hiking trips such as the Lord of the Rings and even better all the Game of Thrones Books. Spoiler alert – the Game of Thrones Audiobooks are even better than the TV shows.
- Petzl Actik Core 450 – The headlamp has adjustable light intensity setting depending on how bright you want the light. Super bright for trail running, medium light for hiking at night or midnight bathroom excursions outside the tent and a low light for inside the tent when a bright light might annoy fellow hikers.
- Altra Lone Peak – Super comfortable trail running shoe that are more at home as a light weight trail hiking shoe.
- Vasque Breeze 3 – Possibly the best waterproof hiking shoe on the market. Very popular on the Appalachian Trail
- Merrell Moab Ventilator– A favourite non waterproof, very breathable hiking shoe. Very popular on the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Outdoor Research Helium 2 Rain Jacket – My go to rain jacket for the last 5 years. With over 7000 miles of hiking with this jacket it is reaching the end of it’s life and now in need of replacing.
- External battery Anker – Stay connected and fully charged in the backcountry with this external; battery. Use it to charge Phones, GPS, GoPros, cameras and more.
6 Not so cheap Hiking Gifts
- Nemo Hornet 2 person tent – I’ve been using the Nemo Hornet tents for over ? miles of hiking and over 15000km of bicycle touring. My go to tent.
- Rab Mythic Sleeping bag – The Rab Mythic is possibly the best ultra light sleeping bag on the market at the moment.
- Sea to Summit Ether lite Sleeping Pad– The last couple of years have seen a revolutionary leap in the quality and lightness of sleeping mats.
- Osprey Exos 48 Backpack – A quality lightweight backpack will last for many years.
- Leki Carbon Vario Trekking poles – Carbon Fibre Poles are strong and lightweight.
- GoPro Hero 8 – Want the best in compact lightweight cameras. Shaky camera movements are a thing of the past with this camera. I’ve used 2 different GoPros over the years. My documentary – Hiking the Appalachian Trail was primarily shot with the older GoPro 6 with extra footage used from my Sony RX100.
Can’t decide? You might be interested in:
The Best Lightweight Hiking Backpacks
The Best Lightweight Tents
Best Lightweight Sleeping Bags and Quilts
Best Lightweight Sleeping Mats
Lightweight Hiking Gear List
Where to buy all the best gear for hiking:
REI | Moosejaw.com |Amazon | Backcountry.com
Traveling Overseas to go Hiking? World Nomads Travel Insurance