Table of Contents
Bicycle Touring Tool Kit and Spares
This is my complete Bicycle Touring Tool Kit and Spares list that I carry as I Bicycle Tour around the world. At the moment I am cycling from Alaska to Argentina with all this gear in my panniers. My Bicycle is a strong dedicated touring bicycle capable of carrying a very large load but unless I am crossing a remote desert my lightweight bicycle touring gear list is around 23kg.
The tools and spares I carry vary depending on what type of ride I am on. For example, if I leave my bicycle in a hostel and go for a day ride around town or in the mountains I do not carry every bit of gear in my kit. Just the basics. Likewise, if I am off on a week long ride and returning to my base I will take more gear but not everything. When cycling between Alaska and Argentina and visiting remote places I have a comprehensive set of tools and spares to fix most, but not all common problems.
Bicycle Touring Tool Kit and Spares for a Day Ride
- Tyre Patch repair kit which includes patches, sandpaper, glue(normally not needed as I use Slime inside my tyres to prevent flats)
- 3 x Tyre Levers
- Tweezers (to remove spikes or debris from the flat tyre)
- Combination Multi tool – Topeak Mini 20 Pro
- Thorn Eccentric Tools (needed to change the rear tyre, adjust the chain, also works as a pedal tool)
- Top Peak Mini Morph Tyre Pump
Bicycle Touring Tools and Spares for a week
In addition to the tools listed above I add the following items:
- Chain Lube
- Cleaning Rag
- 2 x Spare Tyre Tubes
- Spare Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Folding Tyre
- 6 x Spare Spokes
- 2 x Spare Chain Powerlinks and a short section of chain
- Various Spare Nuts and Bolts
- Cable Ties
- Hose Clamps
- Tenacious tape, Cable Ties, Hose clamps
- Adjustable Wrench
- Allen Key Set
Bicycle Touring Tools and Spares for an Expedition
In addition to the items I take on day rides and week long rides I take the following items:
- Rohloff spare sprocket 17T (not easy to find in remote areas)
- Rohloff Cleaning Oil, Gear Change Oil
- 2 x Rohloff oil change grub screw grommets
- Rohloff inner gear cables
- Spare Front and Back Brake inner wire cable plus crimp ends
- 2 x Spare Brake pads
- Patches and glue to repair Ortlieb panniers.
- Ortlieb spares, straps, anchor hooks, nuts / bolts, mount brackets
- Small amount of grease
- Syringe to Rohloff Oil Changes
- Cable Cutting Tool
- Chainring removal tool
- T20 Torx Wrench
- T25 Torx Wrench
How to Store a Bicycle Touring Tool Kit
My tyre repair gear and my multitool is kept handy, either in my handlebar bag or easily accessible in my framebag. As I am riding along I don’t want to be searching deep inside my panniers for gear if I get a flat tyre or need to make a small adjustment my brakes.
The rest of the tools are located in the bottom of my panniers in a small padded bag. Most of these tools are only needed for more serious repairs and can be accessed while at a campsite or in a hotel room.
What do you carry in your toolkit? Anything different?
Let me know in the comments section below.
Where to buy all the best gear for Bicycle Touring and Bikepacking:
REI | Moosejaw |Amazon | Cyclocamping | Backcountry.com |
Campsaver | Competitive Cyclist | Patagonia | Snowys.com.au | MEC Canada -Bicycle Touring Gear | Wildfiresports.com.au
Traveling Overseas to go Bicycle Touring?
World Nomads Travel Insurance