This is my complete Bicycle Touring Tool Kit and Spares list that I carry as I Bicycle Tour around the world. At the moment I am cycling from Alaska to Argentina with all this gear in my panniers. My Bicycle is a strong dedicated touring bicycle capable of carrying a very large load but unless I am crossing a remote desert my lightweight bicycle touring gear list is around 23kg.
The tools and spares I carry vary depending on what type of ride I am on. For example, if I leave my bicycle in a hostel and go for a day ride around town or in the mountains I do not carry every bit of gear in my kit. Just the basics. Likewise, if I am off on a week long ride and returning to my base I will take more gear but not everything. When cycling between Alaska and Argentina and visiting remote places I have a comprehensive set of tools and spares to fix most, but not all common problems.
Bicycle Touring Tool Kit and Spares
Bicycle Touring Tool Kit and Spares for a Day Ride
- Tyre Patch repair kit which includes patches, sandpaper, glue(normally not needed as I use Slime inside my tyres to prevent flats)
- 3 x Tyre Levers
- Tweezers (to remove spikes or debris from the flat tyre)
- Combination Multi tool – Topeak Mini 20 Pro
- Thorn Eccentric Tools (needed to change the rear tyre, adjust the chain, also works as a pedal tool)
- Top Peak Mini Morph Tyre Pump
Bicycle Touring Tools and Spares for a week
In addition to the tools listed above I add the following items:
- Chain Lube
- Cleaning Rag
- 2 x Spare Tyre Tubes
- Spare Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Folding Tyre
- 6 x Spare Spokes
- 2 x Spare Chain Powerlinks and a short section of chain
- Various Spare Nuts and Bolts
- Cable Ties
- Hose Clamps
- Tenacious tape, Cable Ties, Hose clamps
- Adjustable Wrench
- Allen Key Set
Bicycle Touring Tools and Spares for an Expedition
In addition to the items I take on day rides and week long rides I take the following items:
- Rohloff spare sprocket 17T (not easy to find in remote areas)
- Rohloff Cleaning Oil, Gear Change Oil
- 2 x Rohloff oil change grub screw grommets
- Rohloff inner gear cables
- Spare Front and Back Brake inner wire cable plus crimp ends
- 2 x Spare Brake pads
- Patches and glue to repair Ortlieb panniers.
- Ortlieb spares, straps, anchor hooks, nuts / bolts, mount brackets
- Small amount of grease
- Syringe to Rohloff Oil Changes
- Cable Cutting Tool
- Chainring removal tool
- T20 Torx Wrench
- T25 Torx Wrench
How to Store a Bicycle Touring Tool Kit
My tyre repair gear and my multitool is kept handy, either in my handlebar bag or easily accessible in my framebag. As I am riding along I don’t want to be searching deep inside my panniers for gear if I get a flat tyre or need to make a small adjustment my brakes.
The rest of the tools are located in the bottom of my panniers in a small padded bag. Most of these tools are only needed for more serious repairs and can be accessed while at a campsite or in a hotel room.
What do you carry in your toolkit? Anything different?
Let me know in the comments section below.