This is my complete Lightweight Hiking Gear list. This gear list enables me to hike almost anywhere in the world in anything but the most extreme of weather. In the last 3 years I have hiked almost 13000km (8075miles) and feel very comfortable about my gear. I carry all this gear with me as I cycle around the world. Fortunately the same gear for hiking also works well as my adventure cycling gear.
My Lightweight hiking Gear list base weight is normally around 6kg (13lb), but in very cold weather that weight can increase to around 9kg (20lb), specially if I am carrying snowshoes and winter clothing. My selection of gear does not put me in the ultralight range but my gear is both lightweight, strong and dual purpose. Not all the gear listed is carried with me on every hike, but it is a list of all the gear I carry with me as I Cycle and Hike the worlds most amazing places.
Note:- Most of these items have been very well used by me and I’m in the process of updating my gear. Check back in a couple of months to see what has changed.
Table of Contents
Lightweight Hiking Gear List
Shelter + Pack + Sleep System
- Nemo Hornet 2 Person Tent– 910 gram.
- Osprey Packs Exos 48– 900 grams (minus the brain lid).
- Nemo Nocturne 15F / -9C Down Sleeping Bag = 1060 grams.
- Thermarest Neo Air – 350 Grams
- Nemo Elite Pillow– 78 Grams
- Sea to Summit Stuff Sack – 78 grams
- Pack Liner/Garbage bag – 60 Grams.
- Vasque Breeze III GTX Shoes with custom orthotics – 982 grams.
- Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks 48 grams x 3
- Outdoor Research Filament Hooded Jacket – 281 grams.
- PrAna Stretch Zion Convertible Pants – 430 grams.
- Smartwool Base Layer Pants – 150 grams
- Smartwool LS Shirt– 255 grams.
- Reebok unpadded Cycle Shorts – 85 grams.
- Merino Wool Midweight Balaclava – 60 grams
- No name running shorts – 100grams
- Nike Short Sleeve Running Shirt – 150 grams
- Gloves – 65 grams
- PCT Sunhat 55 grams – A great lightweight sunhat
- Sunglasses – 50 grams
Raingear for Hiking
- Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket – 180 Grams
- Outdoor Research Helium Pants – 153 Grams
- Six Moon Design Hiking Umbrella – 227 grams
Winter Hiking Gear and Trekking Poles
- Leki Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Poles 413 grams (pair)
- Black Diamond Raven Ice Axe with Grip = 485 grams
- Kahtoola MICROspikes = 340 grams
- Petzl – TIKKA Headlamp = 85 grams
Best Ultralight Trekking Poles
Cooking and Water Treatment
- Evernew Ti DX Stove Titanium 86 Grams.
- Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium Cookset with homemade aluminum foil lid 114 Grams.
- Sea To Summit X-Mug – 78 grams
- Titanium Spoon 12 Grams
- Gerber STL 2.0 Knife 28 Grams
- Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter System 85 Grams
- Steripen rechargable– 140 grams
- Katadyn Micropur Water Purifier Tabs 20 Grams.
- 2 x Platypus Bottle 2-Litre 72 Grams
- Nalgene Water Bottle 1 litre – 178 grams
- Bic Lighter – 20 Grams – A necessary item, obviously.
- 600ml Coke Bottle to store alcohol for stove – 27 grams
Cameras and Electronics
- Samsung S9 Plus+ headphones + cable 114 grams.
- Sony RX100 + spare battery + case + spare memory card – 299Grams.
- GoPro Hero 8 – 117 grams.
- PETZL Tikka Headlamp – 82 grams
- Anker 20000mAh battery pack – 354 grams.
- Anker 24W Dual USB Wall Charger + Cables 65 grams.
Best Lightweight Backpacking Headlamps
First Aid and Misc
- Plastic zip lock bags
- Money / ID / Credit Cards
- Blister pads
- Strapping Tape
- Giardia anti-biotic
- Foot infection anti-biotic
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Safety Pin
- Deet insect repellent
- Lip Balm
- Toilet tissue
Total 13oz / 375 grams